Here’s a comprehensive list of what you need when moving
Whether you’re moving next door or across the country, there are a lot of fine details involved in making a move run smoothly. That’s where your Moving Checklist can help make your move a success.
Simply put your moving checklist in a convenient spot and mark off each item as it is completed. You’ll find the list comes in handy before you move, on moving day and when you move in.
Arrange for cancellation of utilities and advise date to shut off service and where final bills are going to be sent.
- Garbage pickup
Cancel deliveries on:
Give forwarding address to Post Office.
Send “New Address” cards to:
- Insurance company
- Credit companies
Check on insurance coverage of life, car and household goods en route to new home.
Check on packing and unpacking labor, arrival day, various shipping papers, method and time of expected arrival.
Leave any necessary legal papers with your attorney or Realtor.
Have bank recommend affiliate in new town and transfer checking and saving accounts.
Empty safe deposit box.
Ask doctor and dentist for referrals and transfer medical, dental and optometry records of all family members.
- Have drug prescriptions refilled.
- Get transcripts of children\’s school records.
- Have birth and baptismal records made for all family members.
- Drain gasoline from lawn mower.
- Dispose of all flammables.
- Drain hoses.
- Return and reclaim all borrowed items from neighbors, friends and relatives.
- Throw away useless items.
- Mark all cartons and barrels with room in which they are to be placed by mover.
- Mark box \”DO NOT MOVE\” for those items you will take in the car.
- Make arrangements to have house \”winterized,\” if house will be vacant during cold weather.
- Plan use of foods.
- Defrost freezer and refrigerator. Use charcoal to dispel odors.
- Have appliances checked for moving.
- Pick up laundry and dry cleaning. Leave rugs and clothing wrapped for moving.
- Make arrangements for a place to stay temporarily, if new home is not ready for occupancy when you arrive.
- Have car tuned up and thoroughly checked for trip.
- Purchase maps, books, games and snacks for trip.
- Plan for special care of infants.
- Be sure to involve your children in the move (put them to work).
- Plan for transporting pets, they are poor traveling companions if unhappy
During moving day…
- Be present when movers arrive and preferably while they pack.
- Walk through on the day of loading to make sure all items have been packed.
- Double check closets, drawers, shelves to be sure they are all empty.
- Leave old keys needed by new tenant or owner with Realtor.
- Let close friend or relative know route and schedule you will travel including
- overnight spots; use them as a message headquarters.
- Carry currency, jewelry, and documents yourself, or use registered mail.
- Carry traveller’s checks for quick, available funds.
- Check all doors and windows to be sure they are locked. Turn off all lights.
Never miss out on anything when moving. Make sure to have this comprehensive moving checklist on hand before moving out and on the moving day itself.
Best of luck on the move!